Our History

The Master Plan of the Town of Conway found that “the only significant recreation deficiency in Conway is the absence of an integrated greenway and multipurpose trail system” and that Conway “should consider developing a Greenway/Trail Master Plan and implementation strategy.”

In the early 1980s the Conway Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee (CPRAC) had established the beginnings of a recreational path in the Conway area. Volunteers working with the Town of Conway created the existing Conway Rec Path that connects the Smith-Eastman Park on Meetinghouse Hill Road to the Mineral Spring (now the Kennett High School) and to the Lamplighter development. Unfortunately, the CPRAC was dissolved in the mid-1990s.

The Recreational Access Committee was recognized in 2003 to investigate and promote recreational access within the Town.

The MWV Rec Path Committee was organized in 2008 by a group of volunteers with the specific mission to build a multiple-use, non-motorized recreational trail.

Key dates in our development:

December 2008: The Rec Path Committee received a $1250 grant from the New England Grassroots Environment Fund “to conduct activities that will bring stakeholders together to raise the level of awareness and determine action steps to make this project a success.”

March 2009: A public launch event for the Rec Path drew a standing-room only crowd.
The Committee entered into a MOU with Carroll County Conservation District for their services as fiscal agent.

May 2010: A very successful Family Bike-A-Thon event was held in collaboration with the MWV Chamber of Commerce and Settlers’ Green Outlet Village Plus.

October 2011: The MWV Trails Association was incorporated to create and maintain a sustainable and comprehensive trail network within the MWV, and to hold, maintain, and steward trail easements.

December 2013: The Rec Path Committee became affiliated with the MWV Trails Association.

August 2014: The MWV Trails Association obtained 501(c)(3) status.